Asphalt can cause you with lots of hassle and unwanted paving issues and problems. There are miscellaneous reasons behind these unwelcomed paving damages. Asphalt pavement issues can emerge due to change of weather, initial paving issues, low quality of materials used during paving, drainage glitches, heavy traffic, improper maintenance of pavements and many other.
In order to effectively resolve these asphalt pavement issues, you need to know about the reason behind these pavement defects. After identification of the pavement problem, chooses the right asphalt paving services.
For better acknowledgement of the different asphalt pavement issues, we have come up with a blog which entitles the common pavement failure, its reasons and best fixes for it.
Different Types of Asphalt Pavement Issues & Their Remedies
Here we are sharing a detailed information on major asphalt pavement defects and failures with the respective solution for a better acknowledgement of these pavement failures.
#1: Alligator Crack
Alligator crack is one of the major pavement defects. This can arise due to heavy traffic accompanied by structural failure. The major reason behind the problem can be weak surfaces, sub-grade or base; very thin surface or base; poor drainage or combination of all three. Often, alligator cracks start as a longitudinal crack and after severe distress, it takes the form of alligator cracking.
- Since, it is caused due to structural failure, the only possible solution is to perform a full-depth patch.
#2: Block Cracking
These cracks usually look like rough inter-connected rectangles. These emerge due to poor paving (the inability of asphalt to expand and contract according to changing temperature). The reasons behind the formation of block cracking can be a dry mixture; Fine aggregate mix with low penetration asphalt & absorptive aggregates; poor asphalt binder in the mix design; or aging dried out asphalt.
- If the cracks are less severe, it can be sealed to avoid further problem.
- If the cracks are more severe, its better the layer is replaced.
#3: Longitudinal Crack
As the name suggests, these cracks are longitudinal. These are usually the cracks that are formed parallel to the center line of the pavements. These cracks generally occur due to reflective cracking, pavement fatigue, poor composition at joints (least dense areas of a pavement) or asphalt shrinkage due to low temperatures.
- Same as the block cracks, for less severe cracks, go for asphalt crack sealing.
- For major longitudinal cracks, it’s better to go for asphalt paving services.
#4: Transverse Crack
These cracks are perpendicular to the center line of the pavement, usually one in number. The transverse cracks can be caused due to daily temperature (change) cycle, poor initial paving and reflective cracks in the underlying layer. They are also known as intralaminar cracks or thermal cracks.
- The same fixes for the block cracks and longitudinal cracks can be utilized.
#5: Edge Crack
Edge cracks are one of the pavement defects which are common on narrow pavements. They are caused due to heavy traffic, poor drainage system, issues in underlying layers, shrinkage of asphalt at edges, base or sub grade having shrinkage cracks and many other leading to the formation of edge cracks. Heavy traffic can intensify the cracks.
- The first step to take into account is to remove excessive vegetation around and fix the drainage issues.
- Afterward, go for crack sealing /fill method to prevent further deterioration. Make sure to replace the whole affected area and reconstruct. This will give you the best asphalt pavement maintenance service to extend your roads lifespan.
#6: Joint Reflection Crack
These are flexible pavement cracks which elope just over the underneath pavement joints. The joint reflection cracks do not include the reflection cracks which are found away from the underlying join or base materials.
- For less sever join reflection crack go for patching or asphalt crack sealing.
- For extensive cracks it’s better to remove the pavement and get it repaved.
#7: Slippage Cracking
Slippage cracks are usually crescent or half-moon shaped having two ends pointed into two diverse directions. These can be caused due to lack of compaction between the different layers of pavement. The defect in the bonding of layers can be because of oil, dirt, contaminants etc.
- The affected area needs to remove completely and re-patched partially or full depth accordingly the intensity of the cracking.
Potholes are small bowl-shaped depressions spread across the pavement. It can occur due to a number of reasons like the changing weather, standing water, heavy traffic etc. the intensity of the pothole depends upon its depth and how much area it has affected. These are the most common pavement defects, if not treated at the right time, it can intensify and more potholes can emerge around it.
- The best solution is potholes spray patching, infrared asphalt patching or asphalt paving depending upon the intensity.
#9: Depressions (Bird Baths)
Depressions are part of pavement which usually has a slightly lower elevation than the remaining surrounding. This can be due to sub-grade failure in pavements due to inadequate compaction during paving. This becomes quite noticeable after getting filled with rainwater.
- For severe depression defects, go for asphalt replacement.
- For less severe pavement failure, asphalt patching techniques is the best solution..
These are usually depressions in the wheel path. The edge of the rutted surface may uplift depending on the layers affected. The reasons of rutting are improper asphalt compaction; inadequate viscosity of pavement; weak asphalt mixture or infiltration of moisture. The visibility of the rutted surface increases after the rain when they are filled with water.
- For Minor Rutted Surface, It can be filled and overly.
- For Sever Rutted Surface, it’s better to Get-It-Repaved.
#11: Asphalt Shoving
These are an uplifted waving or ripples across the asphalt paving. Shoving is perpendicular to the traffic direction and is usually present at the intersection. These are caused by problem in the HMA (Hot Mix Asphalt), excessive moisture in the sub-grade level, the material used in the concrete mixes etc.
- For minor shoving pavement defects, partial patching should be done.
- For extensive shoving issues, it’s better to take the full depth patching service.
#12: Asphalt Upheaval
In this pavement defect, there is an upward movement of asphalt due to the swelling of the sub-grade. This can happen due to the expansion of soils due to moisture or frost heave, this can be encountering at the beginning of the winter.
- As the sub-grade is affected, it’s better to do a Full depth best asphalt patch in the affected area.
Raveling is the dislodgement of aggregate particles which results due to the gradual disintegration of an HMA layer from the surface downward. It can result in loose debris, unevenness, standing water in the raveled area, loss of slip resistance etc. Raveling in flexible pavement is an ongoing process of erosion in which firstly aggregate particles wear off, later lager in order to give the pavement a coarse and rough appearance.
- Remove the raveled surface; get the asphalt patching done for minor raveling.
- For major raveling issue, it’s better to Apply hot-mix asphalt overlay after removable of damaged pavement.
Did You Find This Post Useful?
Fed up of all these asphalt pavement defects and failure? Get the one-stop-solution with the best Asphalt Paving Company in Toronto.
Whatever your pavement problems, Main Infrastructure can help to repair them at affordable prices.
We offer services for Asphalt Patching & Repairs & Asphalt Paving Toronto with highly well-trained and experienced crews who can deliver SUPERIOR RESULTS at competitive rates.
We provide QUALITY SOLUTIONS to your asphalt problems that will SAVE your pavements and save your money.
- Annual inspections and certifications
- On-site service repairs
- Customized periodic maintenance schedules
- Safety First
- 24/7 service commitment
- Fully trained operators